Kolkata Police Commissioner Ranjit Kumar Pachnanda has been replaced by Surajit Kar Purakayastha on 14th February 2013. Few changes made in Kolkata Police higher ranks after the saddest incident happened at Garden Reach on 12th February 2013. A Policemen shot death during the clashes between TMC & Congress party workers on the issue of College Election at Garden Reach (Kolkata) on 12th February 2013. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee made changes to uphold the law & order situation of Kolkata after that incident.
Today (14th February 2013) in the evening, the decision was made & few alteration has been done in the Kolkata Police. Surajit Kar Purajayastha named new Commissioner of Police (CP) and R.K. Pachnanda will now work as Director of Security, in-charge of the Chief Minister's security.
Apart from the Police Commissioner post; there are few more changes has been made and the details as follows -
- New Commissioner of Police (CP) – Surajit Kar Purakayastha.
- New Director of Security, in charge of Chief Minister’s Security – Ranjit Kumar Pachnanda.
- New ADG Administration – Birendra Singh.
- New ADG IB – GMP Reddy.
- New ADG of Law & Order – Banibrata Basu.
- New IG of Law & Order – Soumen Mitra.